Saturday, March 21, 2009

If You're Lucky...

True story:

We were sitting in the lobby of a busy restaurant this evening, waiting to be seated. I saw two elderly women approaching the exterior doors, so I got up to hold the door open.

The first woman passed through slowly with her walker, smiling at me as she came through. The second woman moved more quickly than her friend with a cane in her right hand and clear, alert eyes.

"Thank you," she said. Then she slowed slightly and spoke quietly as she looked me squarely in the eyes.

"If you're lucky, you'll die before you get old."

I was startled by this and just looked at her for a moment. All I could think to say was: "There are worse kinds of luck, aren't there?"

She smiled noncommittally and continued on.

__________

Someone help me understand why I can't stop thinking about this?

No comments: